Monday, March 9, 2009

De.li.ci.ous Crock Pot Stew

I was watching the morning news last week while they were featuring their Crock pot recipe for that day. I happened to catch the one from Brookfields, a local restaurant that has good food for the price.
It just so happened that I had a fresh batch of chicken stock I had just made the day before and had planned to do something with for dinner that night. I added a little of my own flair to it and ended up with this version.

De.li.ci.ous Crock Pot Stew

1-2 lbs meat - cubed
10 New potatoes – quartered or cubed
1 onion sliced
1 c peas
1 clove garlic – pressed
1 ½ c fresh mushrooms - sliced
¾ c celery – sliced
1 - 2 c carrots – sliced
1 c fresh diced tomatoes
3 – 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 – 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 tsp Cumin
1 Bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
½ c wine (good drinking wine)
1 ½ c chicken broth or water
flour

Lightly flour meat, add to the crock pot.Add all other ingredients, in order.
Lightly stir or toss.
Cook on High for 5 – 6 hours or Low for 10 – 12 hours

I used elk meat, any kind of meat will do. We are not big meat eaters and I did not use but ½ pound of meat. Instead we increased the veggies.

This could be totally Vegetarian by not using any meat and only using water not chicken broth.
Preparation time:Took me about 1 ½ hours to clean and cut up everything, put in pot and clean up the mess.
We compost all veggie scraps so I had my little bucket close by and dumped the veggie scraps as they accrued.
Have a Great day!
I hope you like the recipe as much as we did.
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment