Thursday, April 19, 2012

Saucy Chicken Chili

With several leg and thigh chicken pieces in the freezer I had need of a recipe to help reduce the larder. We do not eat legs and thighs normally, preferring the taste of white meat, but free food is not something to shake your head at.

Turning to my daughter with my dilemma I was given 3 recipes complete with notations of her family reactions to each.

This is one I have already given a go and decided on for tonight's dinner.
Firstly, I began a good sourdough culture yesterday as hearty sourdough goes with most any stew, soup or chili.
Next I gathered all my ingredients as I was taught ...many years ago.
Saucy Chicken Chili

Ingredients:
1 -15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 -16-oz. jar salsa verde (or 2 - 7 oz. cans)
1 - 4-oz. can diced green chiles
1 - 15 oz can corn
1 cup diced onions
3 tsp. Mexican seasoning (see note)
1 chicken leg and thigh; skinned and fat trimmed off
Note: The original recipe called for Mexican Seasoning and though I have 2 full drawers and one shelf dedicated to spices I had not one that said Mexican Seasoning so here is what I combined to fulfill that need. It worked quite well, in fact I keep a jar of it on hand now for other dishes.

Mexican Seasoning
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3/4 tsp Chicken Boullin
Mix Well

Directions:
Place chicken in crock pot add enough chicken stock or water with chicken boullin to cover.
Cook on high for 3 hours or med for 6.
About 1/2 hour before the chicken is done dice up onions and saute' in large skillet.
While they are sauteing combine all the other ingredients into a bowl. (it takes a while to open the cans and do the seasonings and you need to be close to the onions while they saute' anyway.)
After you have everything measured out turn crock pot off, remove leg and thigh to bread board.
Strip the meat off the bones using one or two forks, your preference.
When onions are translucent add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Then add chicken stir, cook for 5 more min.
Makes 4 servings.

Let chicken broth in crock pot cool down until you can bag it for freezing to be use in another meal.

Serve with hot buttered sour dough bread, a nice wine.
Enjoy!

Nutritional Information:
Nutrition per serving (375 g): 340 calories, 24 g protein, 15 g total fat (4.5 g sat., 0 g trans), 25 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 75 mg cholesterol, 1050 mg sodium, 7 points

The original recipe was found at the Raley's web site.
Any changes to the original were mine.

The Spice House is my preferred source of spices. http://www.thespicehouse.com/
Fresh delightful and a selection  that can make your head swim.
I would highly suggest buying there catalog with your first order. I did and found it to be unlike any catalog I have ever receive before. Filled to with a wealth of information on each spice it has a reserved space on my counter with my favourite cookbooks.
(All the other cookbooks reside on 3 shelves in the cupboard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment