Monday, February 2, 2009

Winter Planting

We have cleaned up last summer's garden and tilled the soil for a winter planting. Hopefully, we will get the netting to surround it soon to keep the chickens and rabbits out. Then I can put in a winter crop. It will be my first and I am looking forward to it.
I was outside yesterday and moved one of my planters. Underneath I found a few Red Wigglers, descendants of a worm composting project I had tried a few years back. I thought all the worms had died and dump the soil into the garden. They had not and I have frequently found their offspring. I was inspired to renew my attempts, so I got out the old tub I had used, filled it with some soil, laid in the worms and covered them with leaves. I made sure to put the tub in the garage as red wigglers like being close to the surface as opposed to other worms, making them ideal candidates for a supper to my chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment